When it comes to producing video content, delivering your message tends to be verbal as well as visual. But what about those people that are watching content at work, or in a public space? How will they know what your video is about? As more and more people are choosing to turn sound off on their videos they watch, especially on social media, should you really choose to produce content that is entirely silent? And how would that even work? Well, here at Oh Video, we are Manchester’s leading video production and video marketing experts. We work with companies and businesses across Manchester and the North West, to deliver top quality professional video services. As a result, we have produced this guide to the advantages of silent commercial video content.
Is silent video really a “thing”?
Over the past year, silent video has actually become the norm for many companies and businesses that use social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram to connect to their audience. And there are a couple of reasons for this, including:
- Consumer behaviour- Have you ever tried to watch a video in the office without brazenly showing that you are actually slacking off? Or how about watch a video on a train or bus? And just as you press play, you realise your earphones aren’t connected, and sound erupts from your phone for everyone to turn and stare. It’s embarrassing. So it soon became the norm for consumers to turn media volume off completely. In fact, back in 2017, 85% of Facebook videos were viewed without sound! Consumers changed their habits, before businesses caught on.
- Social media platforms- once the big social media industries discovered this lack of sound, it soon became a feature of their platform. Videos on Facebook and Instagram for example, are now set to autoplay with the sound off, so the user needs to turn the sound on.
Types of silent video
So, silent video is a big hit with users, but what do you need to know? Well, there are actually two different types of silent video, these are:
- The fully silent video- designed with no sound at all
- The silent optional sound video- designed to make sense without sound, but also provides sound as an option
Advantages of silent commercial video content
So what are the advantages of producing silent commercial video content? Well, there are many, and it is definitely worth investing time and money into professional quality, effective silent video content. The benefits include:
- Meeting user expectations- users expect video content on social media to be silent
- Potential customers won’t miss out- if your potential customers are flicking through social media with the sound off, your video might not make sense, or even be worth watching. Which means that you wont reach as many people as you could have done with a video designed and produced to be an effective silent video.
- But don’t worry. There are actually some fairly simple ways to make your existing video content easy to follow without sound. These include:
If you need professional video marketing support or advice, contact us today at Oh Video, Manchester.